Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Last Training Match

Hey everyone I’m back.  It’s been a few days and I’ve been working hard to get my fitness up.  I’ve also started lifting weights again.  One thing that I’m committed to doing this year is getting in the best shape of my life.  I’m not the most technical player so if I can be the fittest and strongest player on the field then I will have a chance to be good, even at a higher level.

We played a match today and lost, 2-1.  I played the full 90 and felt good.  The game was against Vasby United, a club that is favored to win our league this season.  Apparently they recently had some Russian billionaire take over the club and give them a bunch of money.  As a result, they’ve been able to sign four players from Allsvenskan.  They were a good team but nothing special.  If they are the standard-bearers, then we should also be considered favorites since we were pretty equal.  I assisted our goal, and played well overall.  I’m really starting to adjust to playing on the wing.  I think it’s the best position for my skill set so it’s good that I’m playing there.

In related news, I was apparently correct about guys not being totally honest about missing practice Monday.  You’ll recall that I questioned the fact that about 10 guys missed training immediately after a rest day.  Well it turns out a couple of guys lied about being sick/injured and now are facing serious consequences.  I won’t name names but there are a couple of guys who are in a very bad position right now with the club staff.  They may be terminated, but even if they aren’t I would guess they’ll be buried on the bench for a while.

After the match I went to dinner with some of the guys.  It’s been nice to hang out with my teammates off the field because it makes me feel more accepted.  Many of the guys mentioned to me that they thought I played well today.  I think that I’ve been getting better and it’s good to hear that my teammates agree.  Everyone wants the respect of the coach but it’s just as important in many ways for your teammates to like you and respect your play as well.  The only way I’ll make it out here is to have the respect of the people who I spend every day with.

Tomorrow we have training in the morning and then I will explore some of the parts of town that I haven’t been to yet.  I’ll try and remember to take some pictures so I can post them up here.  I have the weekend off, but I don’t think I’ll be going anywhere because I don’t have any money.  The field trip portion of my adventure will have to wait until after some checks come in.  Til next time!




No comments:

Post a Comment